- Name: Simon Pieter Otjes
- Birth date: 11/05/1984
- Birth place: Schagen, Netherlands
- Nationality: Dutch
- Marital status: Married
- 2011 PhD in Political Science, Leiden University.
- 2008 Master of Philosophy in Political Science: Institutional Analysis (cum laude) Leiden University.
- 2008 Master of Arts in Philosophy of a specific scientific field: Social Sciences Leiden University.
- 2006 Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy of a specific scientific field: Social Sciences Leiden University.
- 2006 Bachelor of Arts in Political Science (cum laude) Leiden University.
- 2018 Speech writing course
- 2018 Practical Project Management (NIMO)
- 2014-2015 University Teaching Qualification ESI (University of Groningen).
- 2009 ECPR Standing Group Summer School on Political Parties.
- 2009 Quantitative Text Analysis at the ECPR Summer School in Methods and Techniques.
- 2007 Analysis of Textual Data at the Essex Summer School in Social Science Methodology.
- 2006 Teaching Working Group ICLON (Leiden University).
Relevant Professional Experience
- 2019-now Assistant Professor Leiden University.
- 2019-now Electoral Researcher at the National Headquarters of the Dutch Greens.
- 2018-now Secretary Program Committee for the European Parliament Elections GreenLeft.
- 2017-2018 Senior Member of the Scientific Staff at Bureau De Helling, the think tank of the Dutch Greens.
- 2017 Lecturer Political Science at the Free University of Amsterdam.
- 2016 Secretary Program Committee for the House of Representatives Elections GreenLeft.
- 2016-2017 Policy Advisor at the Parliamentary Party of the GreenLeft.
- 2013 Secretary Program Committee for the European Parliament Elections GreenLeft.
- 2012-now Researcher at the Documentation centre Dutch Political Parties, University of Groningen.
- 2012-2014 Electoral Researcher at the National Headquarters of the Dutch Greens.
- 2011-2012 Researcher at Bureau De Helling, the think tank of the Dutch Greens.
- 2011-2012 Postdoctoral Researcher at Institute Public Administration, Leiden University.
- 2008-2011 PhD fellow at the Institute of Political Science, Leiden University.
- 2005-2008 Student Assistant at the Institute of Political Science, Leiden University.
Relevant Volunteer Work (selected)
- 2019-now Member of the Editorial Board and Columnist De Helling.
- 2015-2016 Member of the Editorial Board of the Stuk Rood Vlees.
- 2014-2016 Member of the Board of GreenLeft Groningen (municipal).
- 2014 Chair of the Program Committee for the Provincial Council Elections GreenLeft Groningen (province).
- 2012-2016 Member of the Editorial Board of the Hofvijver, Montesquieu Instituut
- 2012-2013 Member of the Candidate Selection Comittee GreenLeft Leiden.
- 2010-2012 Member of the Congress Presidium of the GreenLeft.
- 2009-2012 Treasurer of the Leiden Board the GreenLeft.
- 2009-2012 Member of the Editorial Board GreenLeft Magazine.
- 2009-2010 Member of Program Committee GreenLeft Leiden.
- 2009 Member of the Jury for the Faculty of Social Science MA Thesis prize.
- 2007-2008 Member of the Committee of Ojik II of the GreenLeft. Member of the panel on principles.
- 2006-2009 GreenLeft Party Council Member for Leiden (also a member of Appeals Committee).
- 2006-2008 Member of the Education Committee of the Faculty of Philosophy (Leiden University).
- 2005-2006 Board member of DWARS GreenLeft Youth (campaign coordinator and secretary).
- 2004 International Green Volunteer (with the American Greens).
Organization of scientific conferences
- Chair session “Determining the lines of conflict in politics” at the Annual Conference of the Dutch and Flemish Societies for Political Science 11-12 June 2015 Maastricht, Nederland (with Mark Bovens, Anchrit Wille, Harmen van der Veer en Pieter de Wilde).
- Co-organiser Workshop “What’s Left of the Radical Right” Radboud Universiteit 19-21 January 2015 Nijmegen, Netherlands (with Andrej Zaslove).
- Chair session “What’s Left of the Radical Right? The Social-Economic Programmes of Radical Right-Wing Populist Parties” ECPR General Conference 3-6 September 2014 Glasgow, United Kingdom (with Sarah de Lange).
- Organizer workshop “Radical Rightwing Populists and the Economy” Documentation Centre Dutch Political Parties 3-4 October 2013 Groningen.
- Chair workshop “The Ideological Dimension of Parties” at the Annual Conference of the Dutch and Flemish Societies for Political Science 30-31 May 2013 Ghent, Belgium (with Nicolas Bouteca and Régis Dandoy).
- Chair workshop “The Parliamentary Arena” at the Annual Conference of Dutch and Flemish Societies for Political Science 9-10 June 2012 Amsterdam, the Netherlands (with Tom Louwerse en Peter van Aelst).
- Organizer Graduate Summer Workshop “Political Parties, Migration and Public Rhetoric in Contemporary Europe” 3-5 June 2010 Leiden, the Netherlands (with Sergiu Ghergina and Paul Flather).
- Chair workshop “The New Wave – The Nature, Causes and impact of populist, new and niche parties on European Democracies” at the Annual Conference of Dutch and Flemish Societies for Political Science 27-28 May 2010 in Leuven, Belgium (with Stijn van Kessel, Teun Pauwels, Matthijs Rooduijn).
- Chair workshop “Comparing Different Conceptions and Measures of Party Positions” at the Annual Conference of Dutch and Flemish Societies for Political Science 29-30 May 2009 in Nijmegen, the Netherlands (Brandon Zicha).
Research Fund Flanders, Estonian Research Council, National Science Centre (Poland), European Journal of Political Research, British Journal of Political Science, Political Psychology, Political Behavior, West European Politics, European Political Science Review, Party Politics, Political Studies, Legislative Studies Quarterly, Harvard Journal of Press and Politics, Journal of Common Market Studies, European Union Politics, Environmental Politics, Environmental Values, Journal of Information Technology and Politics, Journal of Comparative Politics, Politics, Public Library of Science, Governance & Politics, Acta Politica, Scandinavian Political Studies, Political Research Exchange, Journal of Elections, Public Opinion and Parties, Government and Opposition, Comparative European Politics, Italian Political Science Review, Innovation: The Journal of Social Science Research and the Erasmus Journal of Philosophy and Economy. Article editor for Sage Open.
- Dutch (native)
- English (fluent)
- German (passive)
- Excel (statistics)
- SPSS (statistics)
- R (statistics)
- Stata (statistics)
- NewMDSX (scaling)
- Mudfold (scaling)
- Yoshikoder (text analysis)
- Hamlet (text analysis)